Monday, February 02, 2004

Blogger Idol, Week 3
Blogger Idol is the brainchild of Darren at LivingRoom.

Each Sunday (Australian time) Darren announces a theme for the week. We have three days to work that theme into a blog post. We post the entry in our own blog and leave a link in Darren's blog so we can read what each other wrote.

If you want to read the other entries, the links are here. blogger_idol-1.gif

Over a hundred bloggers are participating. I will read as many of the entries as possible. Later in the week Violet's Blogger Idol awards will be given to five entries of note.

This weeks theme is 'A Day in the Life of...'.



The Day That Time Stood Still
The day started like any other day. The alarm clock rang. I hauled my fiftyish body out of bed, showered, dressed, and headed for the car.

The route to work was twenty-seven miles, very straight and easy to drive. I had plenty of time to myself in the car. As usual, I used it to pray.

During this season of my life the Lord did answer my prayers. I didn't have enough faith to ask for big things, and He was very generous with the little things. Looking back now, I realize that He was building my base of faith for our future relationship.

I have always known that God exists. The truth of this Psalm was obvious to me even as a child.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge. (Psalm 19:1,2 NIV)

It was the existence of Jesus that I questioned. I truly doubted that Jesus was a real deity, if, indeed, He ever lived at all. I had heard most of the Bible stories, but I didn't believe they were true. I considered the Gospel story incomprehensible. In fact, I wasn't even sure the God I prayed to was the same God written about in the Bible.

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Corinthians 2:14 NIV))

Toward the end of my commute as I was closing my prayer, I did something different and added this afterthought, "And I pray this in Jesus name because I am of Christian heritage."

As I spoke those words something unmistakably important and unique happened. God said, "Yes! Yes! My child, you are to come to me through my Son, Jesus!"

There was a lifting of a kind of darkness and I remember saying "Ohhhh" out loud. I knew that things were never going to be the same again.

This supernatural event defies description. For a brief moment time stopped, the world disappeared, and my life changed. I instantly knew that the Bible was truth and I needed to find out what it was saying.

Looking back, I see where God had been preparing me for this moment over the years. I am thankful He is a loving and patient God who never gave up on me. He waited for the day I was ready to listen and then made me His child.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.
In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will-- (Ephesians 1:3-5))

Amen.