Happy New Year!
As I was cleaning out my files at work, I came across this list of 5 steps to changing a habit.
5 Steps to Changing a Habit
- Define what it is that you want to change or stop. What, if anything, do you want to do instead?
- Recognize that you have done it after you have done it.
- Recognize you are doing it while you are doing it.
- Recognize that you're about to do it, and don't.
- It is no longer something that you do.
Before I was aware of this process I lazily assumed that if I didn't recognize I was doing something undesirable until after I had done it, there wasn't much hope of ever changing.
Now I know that being aware after the fact is a necessary step and it is only step two in the change sequence. Very powerful.
Unfortunately, I don't know who or what to credit with this list. I thank them, whoever it is.
May 2004 be a wonderful year for everyone with at least some of the good changes you desire. Happy New Year!