Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Blogger Idol, Week 4
Blogger Idol is the brainchild of Darren at LivingRoom.

Each Sunday (Australian time) Darren announces a theme for the week. We have three days to work that theme into a blog post. We post the entry in our own blog and leave a link in Darren's blog so we can read what each other wrote.

If you want to read the other entries, the links are here. blogger_idol-1.gif

Over a hundred bloggers are participating. I will read as many of the entries as possible. Later in the week Violet's Blogger Idol awards will be given to five entries of note.

This weeks theme is ‘Ooops’.



I sent my resume out with the following cover letter. Only later did I learn that I should have waited to tell them about my physical requirements until after the job offer was made and accepted. Ooops!

Dear Hiring Manager:

Your advertisement for a Systems Analyst fits my experience and qualifications perfectly, and I am writing to express my interest in and enthusiasm for the position.

My career achievements have included designing and implementing an order distribution system for a large pharmaceutical company. (Which wasn't large enough and got acquired by Pfizer.)

In addition to my desire to join your team, you will find I am a dedicated and driven professional whose recent accomplishments include:
  • Creating an html table which, for no apparent reason, displays a screen of empty space before the table appears.

  • Knitting five vests and four pair of socks for CIC, Children in Common. 200% of last years output was produced in the first month of this year.

  • Cleaning out the medicine cabinet. Number of bottles of "stuff" was reduced more than 50%.

  • Writing four entries for Blogger Idol. In Week 2 my entry on Freedom was randomly selected for a link by Onionboy.

Due to my advanced experience and age, I have a few basic physical requirements for productive employment.

  • Large office with windows and door.

  • Ergonomically designed work area specially designed for reading my favorite morning comics on the internet while drinking a cup of coffee.

  • Variance on the dress code to allow jeans and athletic shoes.

  • Employee gym for use after the morning coffee. Must be in same building as my office. Same floor is desirable, but not mandatory.

  • Unmonitored internet connection for updating my blog and reading Blogger Idol entries.

  • Reduced hours. I need to drive in the daylight when the highway is not busy. 10:00 am until 2:00 would be perfect.

  • Tasty Weight Watchers 7 point lunch prepared from scratch each day by an Italian chef.

  • Company paid high speed internet access at home to expedite any blogging I can't complete during work hours.

Although I'm sure all your management is accommodating, I do reserve the right to tell them to "buzz off" if they present me with unwanted assignments, challenges, or opportunities.

I'm sure you understand that at my age I can not work to deadlines and I don't take night calls.

Go to Seasons of Violet and leave your questions in the comments. I will follow up with you in a few days to answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely,
Violet

Since this job didn't pan out, I'm still looking. If you are interested in hiring me, please leave your questions/comments here.