Blogger Idol, Week 4
Blogger Idol is the brainchild of Darren at LivingRoom.
Each Sunday (Australian time) Darren announces a theme for the week. We have three days to work that theme into a blog post. We post the entry in our own blog and leave a link in Darren's blog so we can read what each other wrote.
If you want to read the other entries, the links are here.
Over a hundred bloggers are participating. I will read as many of the entries as possible. Later in the week Violet's Blogger Idol awards will be given to five entries of note.
This weeks theme is ‘Ooops’.
I sent my resume out with the following cover letter. Only later did I learn that I should have waited to tell them about my physical requirements until after the job offer was made and accepted. Ooops!
Dear Hiring Manager:
Your advertisement for a Systems Analyst fits my experience and qualifications perfectly, and I am writing to express my interest in and enthusiasm for the position.
My career achievements have included designing and implementing an order distribution system for a large pharmaceutical company. (Which wasn't large enough and got acquired by Pfizer.)
In addition to my desire to join your team, you will find I am a dedicated and driven professional whose recent accomplishments include:
- Creating an html table which, for no apparent reason, displays a screen of empty space before the table appears.
- Knitting five vests and four pair of socks for CIC, Children in Common. 200% of last years output was produced in the first month of this year.
- Cleaning out the medicine cabinet. Number of bottles of "stuff" was reduced more than 50%.
- Writing four entries for Blogger Idol. In Week 2 my entry on Freedom was randomly selected for a link by Onionboy.
Due to my advanced experience and age, I have a few basic physical requirements for productive employment.
- Large office with windows and door.
- Ergonomically designed work area specially designed for reading my favorite morning comics on the internet while drinking a cup of coffee.
- Variance on the dress code to allow jeans and athletic shoes.
- Employee gym for use after the morning coffee. Must be in same building as my office. Same floor is desirable, but not mandatory.
- Unmonitored internet connection for updating my blog and reading Blogger Idol entries.
- Reduced hours. I need to drive in the daylight when the highway is not busy. 10:00 am until 2:00 would be perfect.
- Tasty Weight Watchers 7 point lunch prepared from scratch each day by an Italian chef.
- Company paid high speed internet access at home to expedite any blogging I can't complete during work hours.
Although I'm sure all your management is accommodating, I do reserve the right to tell them to "buzz off" if they present me with unwanted assignments, challenges, or opportunities.
I'm sure you understand that at my age I can not work to deadlines and I don't take night calls.
Go to Seasons of Violet and leave your questions in the comments. I will follow up with you in a few days to answer any questions you may have.
Since this job didn't pan out, I'm still looking. If you are interested in hiring me, please leave your questions/comments here.