Sunday, March 14, 2004

What's In A Name
Questions from Sunday Brunch.

1. Do you like your name?

Yes.

2. Are you named after anyone?
I'm Marguerite Louise after my mother, Marguerite Louise.

There are four generations of Louises now. I named my daughter Heather Louise and she named her daughter Kimberly Louise. It's a tradition that means a lot to me because I love the other three Louises so very much.

3. Do you have a nickname? If yes, what is it?
When I was a small child, everyone called me Didi. Before I started school someone taught me how to write my name. It was so easy, D-I-D-I.

I'll always remember the day I started first grade. There was a piece of paper on my desk that said "Marguerite". The teacher explained to us how the name on that paper needed to go in the upper right hand corner of every paper we produced.

Confident that teacher had made a mistake, I marched up to the front of the room and boldly informed her that my name was Didi, D-I-D-I.

That was the day I learned my name is Marguerite, M-a-r-g-u-e-r-i-t-e.

4. If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
If I had to change my name, I've always liked the name Phoebe. I'd be Phoebe Louise.

5. What is the most interesting name of your friends or someone you know?
I think Eastern Indian names are beautiful. Two of my favorites are Padmaja and Nirmala.

What is the most interesting name of someone you know?