Wednesday, May 12, 2004

What a Beautiful Spring
Yesterday I had lunch with a friend - another severed Pfizer employee. She left with over twenty-five years of service.

We both agreed that this is the most beautiful spring ever because we've had time to see it and enjoy it.

Friend mentioned that she's had lunch with some other former workmates, and they are bored.

I know that many people expected me to be bored not working. Not even close. There's a wonderful, interesting world outside of the office and I still have a long reserve list of things I want to do. Life is good.

This is the time of year for baby birds.

Picture of baby bluebirds at 1 week
Feed Me! Feed Me!
The bluebirds are a week old today.

Their wings are developing and their eyes are partly open. It's amazing how fast they are changing.

Picture of robin fledgling from the side
I'm a Big Bird Now
The robin's nest on the north east side of the house was empty this morning. The little ones are out and about for flying lessons.

This one is sitting in a Rose of Sharon bush right under the nest. He let me take plenty of pictures. Either he flunked the flying lesson or he hasn't had his turn yet.

Picture of robin fledgling from the front
The robins are members of the thrush family. All thrushes have spots on their chest. The robins only have the spots while they are very young. Then their chest turns a pretty reddish orange color.

Male and female robins look identical. I guess as long as the robins can tell the difference, we don't need to know.

Check out the white baby fuzz that's still sticking out of the top of this bird's head.

Picture of swallow nest ready for eggs
And In Another Nest Box . .
The second nest box with the hole (and not the slot), is being used by some tree swallows. They have been building their nest for the past week and now it's lined with feathers and ready for eggs.

The swallows vigorously defend their nest. When I walk over on that side of the field, they dive bomb me and chatter. Then their relatives join them.

When I first started to monitor nest boxes at work, the swallow dive bombing was scary. I've never had one actually fly into me, but they've come close. I've learned to count on their reluctance to actually make contact.

Have you ever been afraid of a bird?