Saturday, May 15, 2004

Saturday Sum Up
The fascinating Saturday feature where I respond to comments from recent Seasons of Violet posts, and sometimes pose a question of my own.



Question from Marsha -
In the photo it (the morel) looks quite large, but in actuality, how large is the average Morel and can you describe the taste?
The morels in our yard grow between 3 and 5 inches tall. The one in the picture is four inches tall.

I can't describe the taste. To me, there isn't much taste.

Morels are traditionally cooked with lots of butter and my theory is that the butter gives them the good taste people rave about. I guess I'm just a heathen when it comes to delicate mushroom tastes.

There is a black variety which I read is more tasty than the tan variety. That wouldn't be hard.

I've never had the black variety so I don't know what they taste like.

If you go here, it will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about morels. Or maybe I've all ready succeeded in doing that.



Comment from Judith -
I have always wondered why the church, in general, is so against alcohol. They always drank wine in the bible, at weddings and festivities.
Our Lord's first miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding where the guests had already drunk everything available.

Personally I seldom care to have a drink, only on special occasions. I would like to have real wine at communion as I believe that's what Jesus commanded.

The internet has been a blessing to me - to meet other Christians who love the Lord with all their hearts and actually have the initiative and intelligence to question some of the things that are taught in church.



Comment from Angie -
I love the bird photos! Those are wonderful. What a great way to share your spring!
Thank you!

I've been a little concerned about posting so many bird pictures. There hasn't been much feedback. Hopefully that's just because there isn't much to say about them.

When I named this blog Seasons of Violet, I was thinking more about the seasons of life.

For spring at least, Seasons of Violet has turned into a nature blog. That's what is going on in my life right now.

Are you tired of seeing bird pictures?



Question from What's On.....Right Now??
What's On your 'OOOPS' (why did I do that???) list Right Now??
I started a summer sweater out of Lion Brand Cottonease. It's an experiment to try knitting in sleeves with a sleeve cap from the top down.

It's an 'OOOPS' because I don't like knitting with cotton and cotton blend. This yarn is like knitting with bailing twine. I knew better. I really did.

I'm knitting in the round and have about six inches done. It's going to take fourteen inches to get to the underarm.

Every time I pick it up to knit a few rows, I say, "I will never buy cotton yarn again." Maybe by the time this thing is done, I will have learned my lesson.

What's on your 'OOOPS' list right now?