Monday, May 10, 2004

Blogger Idol, Topic 15
Blogger Idol is the brainchild of Darren at LivingRoom.

Biweekly Darren announces a theme for the two week period. We have almost two weeks to work that theme into a blog post. We post the entry in our own blog and leave a link in Darren's blog so we can read what each other wrote.

If you want to read the other entries, the links are here. blogger_idol-1.gif

I will read as many of the entries as possible. At the end of the two weeks I will list five entries of note.

This theme for this round is 'Secrets'.



Wine, Women, and Casting Lots
For the past ten years I've attended a conservative Bible Church. It's been a great place to get exposed to the entire Bible and I'm grateful for the teaching I have received there.

I believe the Bible is the key to the meaning of life. I also believe that most, if not all, churches ignore parts of the Bible they don't care to address.

I've got a secret. Actually three secrets. I can tell them to my readers, but please don't tell the church I attend. They wouldn't listen, anyway.

Contrary to what the church has tried to teach me, God uses wine, women, and casting lots for His purposes.

For the sake of brevity, I'm only going to provide one notable example of each.

Wine. At the Last Supper, Jesus Himself commanded us to drink wine "In remembrance of me" until He returns.

My church reads this scripture, reminds us that communion is one of the two mandatory ordinances of the church, and then serves us grape juice.

Women. God used Deborah mightily as a respected judge, a leader, and a warrior.

The sons of Israel came to her for judgment as she sat underneath a palm tree.

Israel was in captivity and Deborah lead them into battle against the Canaanites to win their freedom.

My church allows women to be church secretaries. If you are female and your spiritual gifts run toward planning, leadership, or administration, you are allowed to type the church bulletin.

Women are also allowed to lead "women's ministries" and teach young children in Sunday School.

Casting lots. When the disciples needed to replace Judas to bring their number back to twelve, they prayed and then they cast lots to select Matthias.

This story intrigues me. I've not heard of casting lots being done in any modern church. Why not? God didn't object and He gave them an answer.

Am I going to try it? I'll keep that a secret.