Saturday, July 17, 2004

Old Shale Anklets

Kimmy's new red socks
Just finished knitting these socks for granddaughter Kimmy. She's seen and approved the yarn, but she hasn't seen the finished product yet so I may wait until Christmas to give them to her.

The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in a variegated colorway called "flame" and solid red.

Old Shale has always been one of my favorite lace stitch patterns because of the pretty scalloped edge it creates.

The sock on the right with the cuff turned down is how the sock looks on the foot.

The sock on the left has the cuff up to show how the sock is constructed. First, the lace was knit. Then, after a purl row to make a ridge for turning the cuff down, there is knit 1 purl 1 ribbing to hold the sock snuggly to the leg. The ribbing stops just before the sock gets to the point where solid red is going to show when the cuff is turned down.

I made this pattern up as I went along and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. I have enough left over yarn to make another pair. The second pair may be for me.