Sunday, January 11, 2004

Step by Step
My friend Sherry gave me Strong Women's Journal for a retirement gift. I've enjoyed using it to record my physical status each evening just before I go to sleep. It has a place to easily record vigor, mood, sleep, food eaten, exercise, and a short account of the day.

The journal also has a place to record steps walked. Dr. Nelson, the author, recommends using the Digiwalker Step Counter and working up to 15,000 steps a day. So out of curiosity about how many steps I'm actually walking, I bought a new toy.

Picture of Digiwalker and instruction manual

According to the book that came with my Digiwalker, 10,000 steps a day is the key to better health. That sounds more reasonable than 15,000 to me.

Truthfully, I have no idea how many steps I take in a day, so tomorrow morning it slips on my jeans and I'll find out. My guess is around 5,000. I'm sure there will be plenty of room for improvement.

Friday Five Flunks Manners 101
Friday Five has no sympathy for those of us who missed having questions last Friday. There is a message on the site that says, "There's no Friday Five this week. You'll live, trust me."

Sorry. I don't trust anyone who is that rude for no reason. As mentioned in a previous post, I enjoyed doing the five questions each Friday and I'm disappointed that the site isn't better managed. It pains me to never go back there again, but I'm going to do my little part in discouraging rudeness in the world by staying away.

Bummed Bloggers in January
It seems to be the time of year for uninspired blog writers. I've noticed less frequent and/or shorter posts in many of the blogs I read.

Going Jesus announced that she needs some time off and is not posting at all in the month of January. Real Live Preacher got a book deal and doesn't have time to write stories right now. The Living Room had to send his laptop in for repair and was only able to get online thirty minutes a day at the public library.

Knitting Curmudgeon has a new boyfriend and admits that she is tired of making fun of the knitting world. We're lucky to get a new post a week out of her. When Knitting Was a Manly Art has been having snow storms, ice storms, a tree fall on his house, and power outages. His posts have been very short, but he has posted pictures of it all.

How is your January going?