Friday, December 19, 2003

Friday Five
The Friday Five questions were fun to do this week.

1. List your five favorite beverages.

Nestle Mountain Blend Extra Smooth Instant Coffee with Natural Flavor Extracted from Chicory. Every morning I fix a cup of this, throw an extra pillow on the bed, and crawl back in to let the coffee do its magic. It takes my fuzzy brain and whaps it into shape for the day. I drink another cup after lunch, but the morning dose is the most dramatic.

Lipton Green Tea with Orange, Passionfruit, and Jasmine. A nice, pleasant, healthy brew.

Aquafina Water. Started drinking bottled water when I started the Weight Watchers diet last January. It's made a big difference in how I feel, especially in my joints. I really do believe that sometimes when I think I'm hungry, I am just thirsty. And nothing quenches thirst like water.

Arrow Blackberry Brandy. My alcohol of choice for drinking at home. Love the taste of this stuff. It warms me from head to toe just before putting me to sleep.

Margarita. Margaritas are my alcohol of choice for drinking in public. They taste yummy, they don't make me uncoordinated, they don't upset my stomach, and they don't give me a hangover. What more could I ask of a drink?

2. List your five favorite websites.

These are the infrastructure of what I do on the internet. They are my base and everything else that is interesting, funny, or educational depends on these sites.

Google. Surely I don't have to tell you about Google! By the way, Google now owns Blogger, the site where I create Seasons of Violet.

Google News. The ultimate in online news services. Pulls news from sources all over the world.

Yahoo Groups. This is where I joined the Socknitters Group, The OpalChatters Group, the CIC Group, and Flylady. What a wonderful way to make like-minded friends from all over the world.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary and Thesaurus. I am not a good speller. Whenever I'm writing a post for Seasons of Violet, I always have this site up in another window. Even then I miss things. If you see a misspelled word in Seasons of Violet, please let me know so I can correct it.

Seasons of Violet. How could I not name my own blog? Seasons of Violet has become an important part of my life.

3. List your five favorite snack foods.

This is my new list, the list that I starting building last January when I started Weight Watchers. All five of these are satisfying snacks that are far superior to eating celery and/or carrot sticks. A Weight Watches point is approximately 60 calories.

Red seedless grapes. Great for nervous eating when I just have to have that hand to mouth action. Also, they satisfy my sweet tooth. 1 cup is 1 point.

Keebler Reduced Fat Wheatables. Ten crackers is 1 point. When I absolutely have to pig out on something salty, I eat 2 or 3 points worth and I'm very full.

Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese. One wedge is 1 point. There's plenty of tasty cheese in a wedge to cover a points worth of Wheatables (10) or Triscuits (4) for a very satisfying 2 point snack.

Skinny Cow Peanutbutter Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches. These are just too good. Cold and creamy and full of flavor. One is big enough to leave me happy. 2 points each.

Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop. Good stuff for low fat. Sometimes when I have a point left over at the end of the day, I melt a points worth of real butter and pour it on this popcorn for extra flavor. A little butter goes a long way toward making it taste extra special.

4. List your five favorite board and/or card games.

UNO. Because Granddaughter Kimmy likes to play UNO with me.

Sorry. Because Granddaughter Kimmy likes to play Sorry with me. Do you see the pattern here? Kimmy is the only one who likes to play games with me.

Yahtzee. Just bought a new game and plan to see if Kimmy likes to play. Not sure she's old enough for the strategy.

I like to play hearts and euchre but haven't played in many years.

5. List your five favorite computer and/or game system games.

Microsoft Spider. I waste a lot of time playing this. It's usually the last thing I do in the evening when it would make much more sense to go to bed.

Microsoft Freecell. I like the strategy required for this. I hate it when I "win" before I realize I won and Microsoft completes the game for me. I would rather get the satisfaction of finishing the moves myself. I've heard that it's possible to win all the hands, so I started playing at #1 and I'm up to #188. So far #169 is the only hand I haven't been able to beat. I still occasionally go back and give it a try.

Kimmy plays Hoyle games on my laptop. Her favorites are my favorites. Grandmas are like that. There are only three that she plays: Snakes and Ladders, Old Maid, and Go Fish.

Hoyle has a character maker and Kimmy has created several versions of herself that she uses. The Hoyle characters she plays against make appropriate and amusing comments as the games progress. Her favorite Hoyle characters are French Canadian Maurice, Jamaican Jasper, Forest Ranger Robin, and Socialite Elaine.

Pfired Teeshirt
Someone is actually selling Pfired teeshirts on the internet.

The teeshirt creator has taken the Pfizer logo and modified it into a Pfired logo. It's amusing, but I don't think I want a Pfired teeshirt. I'm looking forward to getting Pfired too much to pretend to be bitter about it.

If I see someone wearing one of these teeshirts, I will smile, wave, and say "Me too!"