Saturday, April 10, 2004

Saturday Sum Up
The fascinating Saturday feature where I respond to comments from recent Seasons of Violet posts, and sometimes pose a question of my own.



Question from KeLee -
Do you always get your Opal socks to match so nicely or was it just luck?

For me part of the fun of knitting self patterning yarn is the challenge of getting the socks to match.

I divide the skein of Opal into two balls before I start knitting. That way I can start both socks on the same color band and knit both socks at the same time. Must be I knit with a consistent tension because, yes, so far the socks have always matched.



Three Questions from Monette -
Do I detect the round entry in their (the bluebird) box?
Your new eyes are working well. The nest is in a nest box with a hole, not a slot.
Have you noticed activity in the slotted boxes?
The bluebirds like to perch on top of the slotted box and poop on it.
Were there trumpeter swans at the Bird sanctuary?

Picture of Trumpeter Swan at Kellogg Bird Sanctuary
Yes and I got a nice picture of one of them.

We didn't see a nest. Maybe its too early in the spring for swans to nest.

Biologists at the Kellogg Bird Sanctuary are working to reintroduce native populations of the trumpeter swan back to the wild in the U.S. Midwest.



Comment from Vaire -
My experience has been, that the garter stitch edging stays up if the leg of the sock is snug enough.

So nice to hear from Vaire. I lost track of her when she moved to Sweden.

Check out her blog, The Innocent Abroad, for some beautiful pictures of Stockholm and a report on her new life.



Question from John -
Aren't a bog and a fen basically the same thing?

Yes, they are both a type of freshwater peatland.

A bog receives its nutrients from the atmosphere (ombrotrophic). Because of its lack of minerals, a bog is more acidic than a fen and has less plant life.

A fen receives it's nutrients from the ground water (minerotrophic). Because of the minerals in the ground water, a fen is usually neutral or even slightly alkaline and has a much wider variety of plant life. Some fens are even wooded.

Thanks for the prodding. I'd been wondering the same thing and needed to look it up.

You didn't think I would just know the answer to that, did you?



Question from What's On...Right Now -
What's On your outside thermometer Right Now?

48 degrees F, 9 degrees C, and overcast. That's about as warm as it's going to get today. According to the National Weather service, this weather is going to last until at least Wednesday.

We will have frost at night and highs around 50 in the daytime with occasional rain and possibly snow.



Where are you and what's the daytime temperature? Come on. Make me jealous!