Blogger Idol, Week 13
Blogger Idol is the brainchild of Darren at LivingRoom.
Each Sunday (Australian time) Darren announces a theme for the week. We have three days to work that theme into a blog post. We post the entry in our own blog and leave a link in Darren's blog so we can read what each other wrote.
If you want to read the other entries, the links are here.
I will read as many of the entries as possible. Later in the week I will list five entries of note.
This weeks theme is 'Blog Tips'.
Blogging is Free. Why Not Give it a Try?
As you can tell by looking Seasons of Violet is a very basic blog. I feel very inadequate to give blogging tips to bloggers. Instead I'm going to talk to those of you who don't have a blog.
Do you think you might like to have a blog? Not sure? Intrigued?
Give it a try! There is nothing to lose but a little time, and once you try it you may be surprised by the pleasure it adds to your life.
Here are the steps for a total novice to start a completely free blog. No charge. No hassle. No problem.
- Go to the library and check out Biz Stone's book Blogging. You don't need this book if you know some basic html, but it's a great reference for a beginner blogger and you may decide to buy your own copy. I did.
- Go to Blogger and sign up. It's easy and free. You'll have a basic blog in ten minutes or less.
- Your Blogger signup will include an opportunity to have your new blog hosted at Blog*Spot. Even if your ISP provides web space, go with Blog*Spot. It works together with Blogger to make a very user friendly duo.
- Go to Haloscan and register for free commenting. It's easier than you ever dreamed. Anyone who knows how to cut and paste can install comments in their Blogger Blog without a hassle.
- Decide how many times a week you want to post and set a goal for yourself. My goal is a minimum of three times a week.
- Write something. Instead of writing email to your friends about the interesting things going on in your life, write it to your blog. If you write it, readers will come.
- Once you are up and posting, hints for increasing your readership are here.
Anyone going to give it a try?