Friday, January 07, 2005

Doggy Diet
Sunny at 19 pounds. The BEFORE diet picture.We got the "fat dog" lecture at Sunny's vet appointment yesterday.

Our vets don't just say, "Your dog needs to lose some weight." They have an entire sermon on the topic complete with dire warnings about what will happen to the beloved dog if the weight isn't taken off now. Then they quiz the dog owner on what the dog is eating and give multiple suggestions on how that might be changed.

I was shocked when the vet informed me the dogfood Sunny is eating is like feeding her Ben and Jerry's ice cream everyday. That explains why they don't put the nutritional information on the package.

Sunny weighed in at 19.5 pounds. She should weigh 14 pounds tops. 12 would be even better.

She's three years old now. I knew she was looking a little "mature", but I had no idea she was carrying over five extra pounds on her delicate little frame.

This is Sunny's "before" picture. The doggy diet has begun!

I did some quick research and came up with a recipe for making my own dogfood.

Tonight was the second night the dogs have eaten home cooked dinner, and they're loving it. This week's entree is a low fat recipe containing ground turkey, corn meal, cauliflower and raw egg. They can eat it until they're stuffed and still take in less calories than what they were eating. I've noticed a big change in their behavior already. They aren't always begging for something to eat because they're not hungry.

I plan to vary their diet. Anybody have any good dogfood recipes?