Wednesday, November 19, 2003

What's Up, Doc? Part 2
Maybe the medical profession makes their bills incomprehensible so we don't ask questions like these.

Let's look a two of my recent medical bills.

My Dexa Bone Scan was billed out to the insurance company at $307. The insurance company paid $142, I paid $10, and $155 was "adjusted". I'm assuming this means that nobody paid the "adjusted" amount.

My colonoscopy was billed out to the insurance company at $1057. The insurance company paid $599.39, I paid $66.60, and $391.01 was "adjusted".

Do people without insurance pay the whole shot or do they also get "adjusted"? I really don't understand this. Can anyone explain to me why the bill gets cut in half if the insurance company is paying?

Even more puzzling and strange is the timing on the colonoscopy bill. The procedure was done October 21, 2002. The doctor submitted the bill to the insurance on April 21, 2003. It's too much of a coincidence that the submission was exactly six months after the procedure, so I'm guessing it was done intentionally. Didn't the doctor want her money?

The insurance company made payment on October 3, 2003. Yes, that's a year after the procedure and six months after the billing.

Can anyone explain any of this to me? Please?