Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Happy New Year!
As I was cleaning out my files at work, I came across this list of 5 steps to changing a habit.

5 Steps to Changing a Habit

  1. Define what it is that you want to change or stop. What, if anything, do you want to do instead?
  2. Recognize that you have done it after you have done it.
  3. Recognize you are doing it while you are doing it.
  4. Recognize that you're about to do it, and don't.
  5. It is no longer something that you do.

Before I was aware of this process I lazily assumed that if I didn't recognize I was doing something undesirable until after I had done it, there wasn't much hope of ever changing.

Now I know that being aware after the fact is a necessary step and it is only step two in the change sequence. Very powerful.

Unfortunately, I don't know who or what to credit with this list. I thank them, whoever it is.

May 2004 be a wonderful year for everyone with at least some of the good changes you desire. Happy New Year!