Thursday, July 08, 2004

Congratulations to Me

Movado retirement watchA few weeks ago I was pleasantly surprised to get a letter from Pfizer asking me to pick out a retirement gift.

It just happens that I was in need of a watch to fit my new lifestyle and one of the choices was a very nice Swiss made Movado watch with a leather band.

This is the first expensive watch I've ever owned. When I found out the list price - $395 - I was tempted to stick it in my dresser drawer and put my cheapy back on. The temptation quickly passed, and I've been proudly wearing it for about a week now.

I thought it was considerate of them to let us decline the Pfizer logo on our gift. My eighteen years of employment was with Upjohn/Pharmacia & Upjohn/Pharmacia. (2 mergers, two name changes.)

The night I heard that Pharmacia was acquired by Pfizer was the night I knew I was going to lose my job, so my career was not with Pfizer. (1,2,3 mergers and you're out!)

Does anyone outside of Kalamazoo remember the Upjohn Company?